Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Camp. The adventure continues.

If you could do us a favor, please pray that the kids that are at camp this week will go to City Camp on Monday. The plan is that kids who are at camp now will continue to be in City Camp's program in the South Bronx. This program includes mentorship, tutoring, and general support kids in that neighborhood.

I am asking this because it would be extremely beneficial for the kids. I'm also selfishly asking this because we have fallen head over heels in love with them. Even writing this makes my heart squeeze, thinking of the ways we've been able to hold kids this week. 

Last night we attended a Princess Party. Yep, you heard it. Picture a normal meeting room with round tables, a kitchen sink, a couple couches, and a fireplace. Now cover it with rainbow tissue paper confetti, a red carpet, tons of nail polish and make up, pink sprinkles, and most importantly- a sign that says "You are a PRINCESS, a daughter of the king". 

I've heard that talked about before or used with different phrases. And this is selfish and terrible, but I've always thought it was presented in a cheesy way. It's crucial for every girl and guy to understand that they're valuable and of infinite value because they are loved by God of the universe. But tiaras? Seriously? This princess party was not that at all. All the little girls sat around this red carpet as a "real live Princess" ;) came to read them a story. Oh my gosh, when I saw that sign I was about to cry. This whole event was a beautiful display of the love of God. Counselors sat around painting toes, curling hair, brushing through massive knots of hair, giving out cupcakes with TONS of icing, dancing to One Direction, and telling every single girl about 300 times that they were beautiful. This was their night to hear over and over and over that they're beautiful. Here at camp (this I've said before) kids just hug you. Not all of the kids, and most want to get to know you a little bit first, but when I sit down in chapel, kids just cuddle with me. Why? They know I'm gonna hug them back. That's basically what camp is about. The kids know that the people here love them and will do anything to help them. They are SAFE. Safe physically but also emotionally. They know that these people will tell them again and again that they're beautiful because that's how God thinks of them too.

I'm just amazed. That's basically the whole point of this post. I'm amazed. I'm amazed by the lightning bugs that cover the forest path up to our cabin, and I'm amazed by the doe and her three fawns that I wake up to behind it in the morning. I'm amazed by the ridiculous patience of counselors that hold on to kids that are pitching fits out of exhaustion, or how they teach little ones to swim that have never been in a pool before. I'm most amazed by how happy I am in the tiniest moments, like when one of my favorite little ones found two worms. He doesn't say very much or when he does it isn't loud. Yesterday he held out his tiny hands and said "They're my best friends." Then he hopped away with two worms that were on their way to death. Unfortunately, he really needed nap time so eventually I just picked him up and carried him. He didn't help very much so it took me a lot not to drop him. We were both covered in sweat and creek water and grime alllll over. He suddenly looks up with a gasp and a chunk of worm in one hand. "UGHH it brote!!" (broke, he meant broke). Fearing that he was going to drop both worm chunks down my shirt, I started talking to another counselor near by. Mr. Brandon helped us out by gently hitting both worms out of his hand. We said, Oh whoops, we got to let them go now. (This was best for all involved, I assure you). Little one was kind of upset by this obviously and buried his face in my neck. I just carried him and talked to him about things until he started smilin' again as we walked to our next activity. The worms were all but forgotten after a while, but I loved holding him and figuring out what we cared about. He really could've stayed in my arms forever, I would've been happy with that. You know some of these kids don't feel loved at home. I just want to say, stay here!! I'll love you every day. 

Maybe all this sounds silly, sure. But that's how I feel at the moment, and since you're reading this, you asked ;).

I've had the pleasure of being able to spend a lot of time with some really wise people this week. They're good with the kids, they're spiritually wise, and they give the glory to God. They're diligent in tough situations, compassionate towards those who are burnt out, and perceptive of others' needs.

This has been a privilege. It has been a privilege to serve. Yeah, I'm not perfect and have lost my patience a lot this week. But the Lord has been so good to us. He forgives my wrongs and shows his beauty through stunning sunsets and water games and baby teeth coming out in a rush of blood at lunchtime. Hah. This is awesome. I love it. I love him. I love them. I love you.

Okay bye ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment