Thursday, July 25, 2013

Opportunities

That's how my mom described it today when I was venting/talking about my recent transitions that have involved Michigan, NY, and Pennsylvania. The many challenges that come with working with new people and all sorts of kinds of people is that you don't always see eye to eye. These are learning OPPORTUNITIES. (Catch that positive connotation right there). Also, coming to new places and knowing nothing while it feels like everyone else knows everything can be difficult. Opportunity.

I greatly apologize for not keeping you updated on my adventures that continue in full swing this summer. Not because I'm vain enough to think that it's like... meaningful to you or anything, but I definitely left you on a unfinished note. Last time I wrote in this I was at Mont Lawn Camp volunteering. Once we returned to NYCUP we finished up our internships and entered a time of "Debrief." Yikes.

Ohhh debrief. Somehow, in one weekend, I was supposed to figure out how to process everything we were supposed to learn and everything I learned on accident. Somehow in six weeks I had to figure out how to... untangle the spiderweb of emotions that sped through my soul. It wasn't an easy six weeks at all. It was really difficult. Our teams went through multiple health difficulties, exhaustion because of lack of AC ;), working with people from really heart-breaking backgrounds, global issues, and squishing cockroaches that show up in the bed sheets in the mean time. Ya know, unexpected adventures. 

I had zero idea what I was getting into when I arrived in this fast-paced jungle. I had zero idea that I would be confronted with intensive spiritual formation, and remarkable encouragement to change the situations that confine our existence with Jesus that 's intended to be so free and sweet. These past few weeks pressed the way I think about people I meet. To those of you who gave because you love me or because you believe in the work God is doing or both, thank you. Your prayers were not in vain. Because I promise, the way I see the world is different. For every one of us who was involved in this project (I think it's safe to say), we see the world differently. And we are EXCITED to share in the work that God is doing to set the captives free! 

And freedom doesn't mean having a stable job, a  family, and living in a safe neighborhood, though those things are all wonderful and can glorify God beautifully. All of us experience different types of sin that hold us in captivity. Sometimes we make choices that are against God's will and other times things happen to us that we never, ever asked for. But the responsibility of the church is to reach out to each other and people who don't know him, because whether you want to hear it or not, people need help to gain freedom. And some people need it in the worst way.

Also, I've had the privilege of meeting some incredible people, as I've said before. One of those people is Ann, who was our direct supervisor during my team's internship. One of the awesome things she's done in her life is join a running club in the city. This running club is for homeless men who live at one of the missions in NY. So she would get up super early, run with these men and try to get to know them. HOW AWESOME IS THIS. People have all kinds of different needs. Friends is a need. Joining a running club is a way to do this. 

Another way to contribute to the overall welfare of the world? Buy fair trade things. Labor slavery exists on enormous levels and contributes to how most of how the goods are made that we buy in the U.S. That may not be surprising to you, but guess what, SO many fair trade goods are available at the places you already shop yet! I bought a beautiful journal and stationary at Barnes and Noble the other day that was totally fair trade! It's the little things.

Hugging kids also helps. The world is just more beautiful with more selfless love in it. The more we let God work through our open hearts the better we're able to love. Man, sometimes it's just hard. It's easy for me to feel like a failure or just generally selfish. But God works continually, ever-flowing with goodness, drawing us closer to him. So hug little kids. Smile at random people (that one is hard for me. haha.) AH so that brings me to one of the main points here, I got re-hired at Mont Lawn Camp. ;)) I'm in the Poconos for two more weeks because the Lord is good and opens crazy doors we don't expect.

Praise him because people are beautiful and worth fighting for. 

I'm thankful because the people here welcomed me with open arms, and because God himself is going to help us love through another weeks of craziness at Mont Lawn Camp.

Hugs to you from good ol' Bushkill, Pennsylvania, because that's actually a real place.

Love, Anna. 

2 comments:

  1. Just making sure you know your words are read, and you are cared for. :-) Other than that--few words.

    VEM (for ERM)

    ReplyDelete