Thursday, August 29, 2013

What happens when I read

My two cents may not be important to you. However.. I write all the time and debate actually sharing it again, and here we are! Someone who I love a lot told me not to stress about blogging, just write when you feel like writing.

After being bombarded with the craziness that I have complete accessibility to via the Internet, I feel as if I'm watching the earth explode from far away. Do you ever get that feeling? Sitting safely behind your screen and keyboard, you can say basically whatever the heck you want because you're safe. Your arguments can be blind and unfiltered, your grammar can suck (yes I noticed, it was supposed to be funny...), you can make large generalizations and war out your own emotions at the expense of others.

Baby side note on generalizations. WE'RE ALL GOING TO MAKE THEM. Why?! Because no one, literally no person ever in existence has time to comb through every statement ever made and make it logically sound. No one has TIME to go over every sentence they've communicated and picked out all the potential holes and nuances that may have made it imperfect. That is the beauty of community- all perspectives are needed and can positively contribute to the whole. This is why I get frustrated when I read comments sections are articles in the top news.

You really only can read comments sections if you a) are prepared to procrastinate big time, or b) have some kind of self-loathing complex. It's kind of awful, people are cray. (And you might just want to explode at me and tell me why that last sentence was the worst. That's fine, and you can. But in all honesty, it's just my opinion so why do you care that much?)

It is in some of these moments that I start to greatly miss camp. There you had to be on your toes at every moment. On top of things, always on the look out for what kids needed, etc. And until my school schedule becomes more heavily loaded... I have time to read comments sections.

The point of this post wasn't really just for me to say all that. I just wanted to utilize an outlet where I could express the deep dissatisfaction I have with the way things are sometimes. I think... no, no this isn't okay, none of this is okay... but I can't logically explain why. It just isn't.

My professor said it perfectly this morning, when he was reiterating what our school president said in chapel yesterday. We are filled with a holy longing for completeness, wholeness, and light (or something like that).

A holy longing. There. There it is. That is why I'm upset that there's nude women in "Blurred Lines." That's it.  Because it would be tedious to try and logically support why I believe that shouldn't happen. It's hard to prove to a general audience. But there are those deep, deep gut feelings that are meaningful. I can't tell you how difficult it is to enter into some of these controversial conversations and feeling as if I've already lost. Which I'm sure we've all felt.

But the gut feeling is a holy longing. God created us from his place of loving power. Respect was part of the plan. Honor was part of the plan. Sacrifice and submission were part of the plan. Being humble and kind to our loved ones was ALWAYS THE FRICKING PLAN. Giving isn't an anomaly! Making sure we don't rape people isn't something to politically or logically struggle with!  And guess what- it's difficult to say why. Because people can argue you forever about stomach-churning craziness. But I'm going to advocate arguing with our gut feelings sometimes, aka, the Holy Spirit.

The Holy Spirit tells me that when people are cherished, freedom and beauty opens in a way that grows joy and safety, righteous living and more prayers because we ache to celebrate being loved. That may be too vague but I think you've seen it.

Think of one person you know in your mind who seems... settled. Someone who seems to be at peace and can see life through a lens of ultimate joy beyond devastating circumstances. No one's perfect, I know. But I hope we all know someone who we view this way.

If you got this far, thanks for listening. I hope we become the kind of people who fight for ideas not just because the Bible says so, but because the Bible is the looking glass into who God created us to be and what kind of world he created us for. And that world is all about love, joy, peace, SAFETY and RESPECT.

So screw all this controversy about modesty, and inappropriate dancing, and blurring the lines of sexual consent through catchy lyrics. I don't even want to talk about it anymore. I just want to respect people and love them because that's what God wants. That's what he wants.

No comments:

Post a Comment