Monday, June 17, 2013

Arrival

Here we are.

I've successfully survived/navigated/lived in Harlem, Port Authority, Times Square, and Inwood so far. From the time I stepped off my first plane-ride into LaGuardia, to writing this blogpost in a convent in Inwood, life has been a full blur. I use the word full because the surrounding chaos is rich and beautiful. So many things I've already learned. So many things.

A couple snap-shot points since my arrival in New York City:

1. Navigating the subway is so much easier than I thought. For direction-ally-challenged people such as myself, there are signs with big letters.

2. Talking to people that are homeless is important. A lot of times I've thought of their main need as being food. This is obviously a huge need, however, I forget about people's relational needs. People who are homeless may not have had conversations for a really long time. Hearts are important.

3. People are a lot nicer in New York than I'd been told. (By the way, I have been to this city before, but it was more of a consumptive experience, not a learning experience). In our neighborhood we were doing a scavenger hunt and there were at least 10 people who helped us find stuff. How great is that! (And yes, we were being safe. Groups always ;))

4. Everything we do is empowered by God himself. Talking to him isn't an option, it's completely necessary. If this life is in existence by the divine creator, moving through the breath of the true lover, and redeemed by the One who gave up his life... what am I doing if I don't give everything to him?! Try to save the world by yourself. Just try. --> The point there being, this is way too big for any of us so your arms are going to break. Work by the spirit to do what he's called you to do.

5. Having open eyes changes everything. People have different racial, cultural, and familial backgrounds.. making assumptions just isn't going to help. Everyone is on a different journey when discovering identity. Being accepting has to happen. It just has to.

6. Rest is necessary. I'm going to go sleep after this blog is done. Honesty, I'm not sure if I can handle the burdens of racial reconciliation, poverty, homelessness, inadequate resourcing of public schools, human trafficking, living with 22 brand new people, finding my way around a Spanish neighborhood, and feeling ridiculously blonde 24/7 without additional naps. And prayer. WHY?!? Oh RIGHT. Because I can't do anything by my own strength. Because his power is made perfect in weakness. Because he DECIDED to love me and so he's going to take care of me when I listen to his call.

7. I am not pointless. Neither are you. Has anyone ever told you that they don't have time for you? Guess what, that's total crap! Every moment of your life is worth something because God whispers to you in different ways all day long. This is from a girl who isn't exactly sure how the cross works to save the world, or how the invisible being who created this world from dust cares about the details of our lives. I'm not trying to preach at you something that I know. I'm trying to include you in the questions that I'm able to ask because he's given me grace to honestly ask them. I'm trying to wrap my arms around you into this convent with us, because here we are asking questions. Why does this pain exist? Who are we and what has God intended us to be? How can we more deeply rely on him so we're actually able to do something?

Is your head spinning?! If not, good for you. You've obviously had your daily dose of java ;))

8. Just because you live in a lower-income area, doesn't mean you always have to worry about getting shot. Let me expand on that. Where I come from, the idea of moving to a more dangerous place is freaky and kind of naive. Well, starting this week I'll be working in a camp for elementary kids starting in the South Bronx. Where I'm from, this place has a bad reputation. And yes, ANYWHERE you go you have to have street smarts and be careful. But people live in all these areas day-in and day-out. There are beautiful grocery stores and coffee shops and really yummy orange drinks that you can get in tons of convenience stores around here. Everyone is beautiful and created by God. I don't know what I'm trying to say. I guess I'm just saying... people are people wherever you go. Being a millionaire is okay. Being rich is okay. Being poor is okay. Last night, there was a cockroach in our bathroom. Usually this would've freaked me out but it just didn't. This is where I live now and I'm cool with the place I'm at. I don't have to live in a French Chateau to feel legitimate and like I've made it. God is with his people wherever they live.

9. I love New York. I don't know anything and sometimes the city seems really abrasive. But I'm so thankful to be sent here to learn, and I'm thankful for the wonderful people who are leading myself and the other team members farther into the arms of Jesus. I don't even know what that means! I'm just extremely excited to find  out.

To everyone who has spent time in prayer for this team and who have generously donated funds to get us here,

Thank you so much. Thanks for participating in the kingdom we're all a part of. This is crazy!

I love you all. Thanks for supporting me. More to come ;)

Anna

1 comment:

  1. I am glad you love New York. I realize in my rush to read, I never responded---and I feel that always puts a smile on my face to know someone read your work and digested that! As your roommate, I hope to get closer to you this summer and be just as much a partner for you in your endeavors as we both partner with NYCUP and so many others. YAY, first comment blogging:) <3

    ReplyDelete